The first Safeway on NW 65th was located at 6258 5th Ave NW, now Seattle Floor Service. In 1927, Safeway moved across the street into the building once occupied by West Woodland Pharmacy. Safeway operated at this address until the late 1930s when it closed. The 1940 Seattle City Directory shows that there were no businesses operating out of these four store fronts by that year. Property records show that the exterior and interior conditions of the building were poor, perhaps this contributed to the closures.
The “Then” photo shows another business that was once open at this corner, Ernie’s Beauty & Barber Parlor. The remaining two store fronts appear to be vacant. The prior tenants of these locations were Colman Plumbing & Hardware and Fifth Avenue Beauty Shop.
The building is still standing and is currently in use as a private gym. There have been several cosmetic changes to the exterior, including the removal of two sections of the stepped crest roof-line in 1946. The trolley track is gone as well, removed in 1942 to be recycled and used in support of the WWII war effort.
The black & white photo shows the corner of 5th Ave NW & NW 65th in November 1937, courtesy of the Puget Sound Archives, and archivist Midori Okazaki.